Translate

воскресенье, 21 декабря 2014 г.

To/Die/For: Flame is still burning in our hearts!

This interview has taken its place on the 06.12.14 after the To/Die/For concert in Saint Petersburg's club “Backstage”, when Jape and Juppe kindly agreed to answer the questions of our interviewer Nikolay Belov for “To/Die/For Russian Support Portal”. We would like to thank the musicians for their attention!


Nikolay: People, who are not familiar with your works, believe that your songs are full of sadness, sorrow and melancholy. There is an opinion, if a person creates something that is not extremely positive, he/she has some problems or can't get through some teenage complexes. What is your point of view?
JAPE: So, they believe that only the teenagers can have some painful moments in their lives? (smiles) Personally I feel depressed a couple of times in a year. In those days I cannot create any music. When I feel depressed, I usually like to listen to some happy music, for examble reggae. When I feel better, those feelings turn into music or lyrics naturally. A lot of different things may happen in everybody´s life: Some of your friends may die, people may hurt you or make you suffer or whatever. I just can't find any reason, why musicians should not, or cannot write music about those parts of life? Usually people who say that kind of music or lyrics are teenage-like, write lyrics about viking wars and are dreaming to be soldiers, who were alive some hundreds years ago. (smiles) Writing dark music does not mean we have more problems or more depression than other people. This is only one way to spit those feelings out. After hard moments we just try to have as much fun as possible and enjoy about our lives. Our lyrics are not ment to be "taken literally". For examble, "Kill me once, Kill me twice" does not mean that I would like to be killed (laughs). It is dedicated to some morons, who's been trying to put us down. It actually means: "Do what you want, say what you want about us, but in the end it only makes us/me stronger!». And in the end, this kind of melancholy is in Finnish blood. You can hear same kind of things in old Finnish "Evergreens".
JUPPE: And it's more natural to this kind of music to sing about misery and sorrow and stuff of that kind than about happy fantasies or jumping naked on flowers. We may do it when nobody sees us (smiles). Melancholy in our music and lyrics is absolutely honest. Trying to do something else would be cheating.
Nikolay: The TDF music has not been changing its mood for 20 years, unlike, let us say, the 69 Eyes who walked quite a thorny path from punk to gothic rock and from gothic rock to rock with gothic lyrics. What is the reason for such a devotion to your music?
JAPE: We do not try to sound like some other band. We do only what we feel in our hearts, no matter if it is marginal or mainstream. All we care, is that we are honest to ourselves.
JUPPE: There's always somekind of evolution happening in every band. Sometimes it helps and sometimes not. In every album we have a bit different feeling, but still we have that red line to follow. And it keeps us being the same band since our first album («All Eternity»). The total changing of music would mean to us making another band with a new music style.
Nikolay: TDF announced breaking up many times. What was the reason for it and why you are still together?
JAPE: Actually two times (smiles) in 2003 and 2008. We tried to live without TDF-life, but we could not. We also tried to make new bands, but it did not feel the same as we feel it with To/Die/For. After 2008 I started to think why should I stop making TDF music. I've spent a big part of my life with it, so why should I throw it all away! TDF has always been a bit "dangerous" band for its members, but it is one of the reasons why I like it! I love the people who can live a crazy life, and we have chosen this way to live. Flame is still burning in our hearts!
JUPPE: I've been out twice and tried to do play in other bands, but again, I noticed that TDF is my family, even if there's not always the same lineup. Now we are like brothers and it´s getting better day by day! TDF has never damaged of any changes of lineup. Sometimes it´s necessary to clear the air you breath or it kills your creativity.
Nikolay: As far as I know, the upcoming album is the seventh one. Are you going to stop with it or do you already have some material for the next one?
JAPE: We are NOT gonna stop with it (smiles) and we promise that the 8th album comes out soon. It is not going to take years between! At the moment we still love to write music as much as we did it in 1999.
JUPPE: The plan is to have a TDF Revolution. To be on a top of the world! (smiles)
Nikolay: The albums “All Eternity” and “Epilogue” went down in history as the unique examples of melancholy and heavy sound. In the biggest Russian magazine “Dark City” reviewing the albums the author has even written such words: “This music will make even the faceted glasses cry”. What is your opinion upon his words? Do you consider these two albums to be the strongest works of the band in comparison with the following ones?
JAPE: Well, believe it or not, but when we recorded «All Eternity», we even took some of the darkest moments away (laughs). I mean, Mary-Ann R.I.P chorus was darker than it appears on the record. But anyway, we do not think about what we have done with these two albums. Of course we've noticed that «All Eternity» and «Epilogue» are very important for many people. But surely it feels good that we created those kind of Cult albums for this Finnish Gothic rock/metal scene.
JUPPE: It's true that many bands were influenced by our first two albums and many bands would not even exist without them. We are really happy that we have been making that kind of history. I hope that we'll keep touching peoples hearts with our music next 30 years at least (smiles).
Nikolay: This question is for Jape. You have a daughter. Is she fond of music? Does she listen to your albums?
JAPE: My daughter is 18 years old now. She is listening different kinds of music and knows quite a lot about rock'n'roll history already. She is listening to everything: from Ramones to nowadays mainstream whatever they are (smiles). She is been listening our albums,but i guess it is not her favourite music anyway (smiles).
Nikolay: The band exists almost for 20 years already . Did the audience at your gigs change? Are there people who continue going to your shows despite all the odds? I mean if you have some faithful fans.
JAPE: We do have faithful fans, yes! They are great! Theree are also some new fans. Let´s hope we´ll get more new fans with the next album, and of course we need to do more shows to get more fans too!
JUPPE: Yes there are some real fans almost in our every gig in Finland. We hope to get more new fans from all over the world!
Nikolay: One more question for Jape. How did your daughter's birth influence your life? Did she become a source of your inspiration?
JAPE: Of course she made a great influence on my life! What comes to TDF, I dedicated some songs to her: «Vale of Tears», «Angelica» and «Endlessly». However I did not start living like an ordinary adult or general old daddy (laughs). I hope, she understands me and my way of life.
Nikolay: Could you tell what the sources of your inspiration are! Where do you take the ideas for writing your music?
JAPE: Always this question! (laughs) This may sound very clishee and boring but the biggest influence is the life itself! You can write about whatever happens around you.
Nikolay: The question concerning your workflow. When you are writing songs, are you making it together or is there usually only one person who has all the power in his hands?
JAPE: It always depends. But what about our seventh album, we have done more work together than ever before.
JUPPE: A lot of stuff we are doing together, but most of the production comes from Jape. He gives the sound for our songs with his TDF hands (smiles).
Nikolay: Have you ever had an idea of leaving music and doing something else? To become a chairman on TV or a producer of some Finnish band?
JAPE: There is nothing else I would like to do! I love travelling and make music. I hate day jobs, even thought I have to do them sometimes. I will never start doing dayjobs permanently that is for sure!
JUPPE: TDF keeps us too busy that we don't have that much time for other projects.
Nikolay: When did you decide to be a rock musician?
JAPE: I did not decide it (smiles) I had my first band when i was 12 years old. I composed my first stupid song when I was 6 years old with my grandparents piano. I quit schools because I just wanted to play in a band. And the final bomb exploded when I got SMACK´s "live Desire" album from Tommi Lillman at school. After that this flame is been in a big fire in my heart.
JUPPE: Our hometown was such a boring place that the music was the only thing which gave something to us. There were no plans to be a rock star. We were just playing. Then suddenly there was a first gig and a next one. With right guys around it was fun and easy to make music. When I see that I have improved, it makes me sure that this is the thing I want to do.
Nikolay: What bands effected you and what special was about them?
JAPE: We all have our own favourites. But, like I always said, I am not sure if would have started to play in a band is there wass no Finnish street rock band called SMACK.
JUPPE: I can't point out aby band, but I like 80´s glam rock, sleaze rock and punk rock.
Nikolay: What message would you like to send to your fans?
JAPE: Live your own life, not the others! They can try to take away whatever from you, but not your thoughts! Fight for your rights and your own life And respect the planet earth! (smiles)
JUPPE: Don´t pee on a headwind.
Nikolay: Thanks for your time guys! You are the best in our hearts. Whatever happens, we’re gonna listen to your music and buy your upcoming album. We were always supporting you and we wouldn't be false to ourselves.
JAPE and JUPPE: Thank you very much, Nikolay! Love and Respect!
10.12.2014
 © Interview preparation : Nikolay Belov and Anton Koltsov
     Photo: Jana Grivorieva. More photos could be found under: http://musecube.org/?p=174356
     Edition: Lina Yundunova
     Specially for: To/Die/For Russian Support https://vk.com/todiefor_rus
_________________________________________________________________________________
 © This interview was originally produced for: To/Die/For Russian Support https://vk.com/todiefor_rus

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий